Marriages that take place according to Jamaican law are recognized in the United States as legal marriages. Persons getting married in Jamaica must be in country for 24 hours before the ceremony can be performed. No blood tests are required.
What are the requirements to get married in Jamaica?
Minister’s (Marriage) Licence
- Both parties must be at least 18 years of age.
- If either party is 16 or 17 years of age, parental consent is required.
- Parties should not be blood relatives.
- Not already legally married to someone else.
- Parties must be male and female in keeping with Jamaican Laws.
Do you need witnesses to get married in Jamaica?
* If you use a Jamaican wedding planner they will probably need to have all of the required documents (see below) 45 to 60 days before the wedding. * There must be two witnesses present at the ceremony. You can provide your own witnesses or most hotels can provide them if required as can most Marriage Officers.
How much would it cost to get married in Jamaica?
On average, Destination Weddings’ couples spend less than $6,500 on a wedding in Jamaica.
Average Cost of a Destination Wedding in Jamaica.
|Average Overall Cost||$6,493|
Where is the best place to get married in Jamaica?
Whether you’re looking for a secluded getaway or a town-side gem, here are the best places to get married in Jamaica:
- Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall. This beautiful resort is just on the outskirts of Montego Bay, Jamaica, the ideal location for a lovely wedding destination. …
- Royalton Negril. …
- RIU Ocho Rios. …
- Grand Palladium Jamaica.
What is the best month to get married in Jamaica?
December to April are the best months to get married in Jamaica.
Who pays for wedding in Jamaican culture?
In past generations, the bride’s family paid for the majority of the wedding expenses. The groom’s lucky family got off with just the rehearsal dinner, and the groom himself paid for the honeymoon, the bride’s rings, and assorted other small expenses. That was then.
How do I get married at RGD Jamaica?
“We have a registry wedding service where persons wanting to get married can actually come to the RGD. They just need to make an appointment and set the date and time,” Nicole Whyte, marketing and planning manager at the RGD, told The Sunday Gleaner.
How much is a marriage certificate in Jamaica?
The cost of a license is four thousand Jamaican dollars (approximately US$75-US$80). Unlike many countries, Jamaica does not expect you take a blood test before getting married.
What is common law marriage in Jamaica?
Under about four Jamaican laws, two people can be recognised as “common-law spouses” if they are single and have been living together as if they were man and wife continuously, (short periods apart do not affect the continuity of the living together period for calculation purposes), for a period of five years.